The postpartum period is a time to bond with your baby, nourish and restore your body, and get to know each other as a new family. Whether you're first-time parents navigating the unknowns or caring for a newborn with a toddler underfoot, a postpartum doula can provide a nurturing presence and non-judgmental support designed to ease the transition to new parenthood.
What is a postpartum doula and how can one help me?
A doula will help you feel more confident as a new parent, so you’re ready to continue your journey after she leaves. Postpartum services are customized to your needs and include:
- Birth discussion - a healthy part of transition and processing
- Helping facilitate and nurture the bond with your newborn
- Assisting with basic breast and bottle feeding
- Discussing rest and nutrition needs
- Understanding the ‘baby blues’ and postpartum depression
- Building confidence in your ability to care for your child; teaching basics of infant care such as bathing, dressing, diapering, and feeding
- Helping organize areas for infant care
- Light housework such as changing bedding, doing laundry, running errands
- Meal preparation
- Watching other children
- Handling phone calls and visitors
- Suggestions or referrals to external support and providers as needed
- Family/Sibling Adjustment
- Babywearing information and tutorials
- Getting the rest your body needs and deserves.
What a postpartum doula doesn't do:
- evaluate mother's or baby's medical condition
- take over your role as a parent or care of the baby
- insist that parents care for their baby in a particular style
- provide care for any child without a parent in the home
- transport any member of the family
- provide psychological counseling
- major housekeeping
Ideally, it is preferred to meet with you and your family prior to the birth of your baby. This way, we can anticipate your postpartum needs and preferences in advance and secures a spot on the calendar for peace of mind.
If you've already welcomed your new baby into the world and would like the support of a postpartum doula, please don't hesitate to reach out!
Fees for Postpartum Services:
Fees for postpartum services are charged per hour of support, with a 3-hour minimum per visit and vary depending on the length of your contract. Please contact me for pricing and availability!